Wingate Grange Colliery opened in 1839 and closed in 1962 with up to 1500 people working there. In 1930 a welfare park was built to provide recreation facilities for the miners, their families and the wider community.
The Parish Council bought the park from British Coal in 1994 and it remains an important priority for the Parish Council and something it continues to manage and invest in. Park facilities include a wooded area and pond, a bowling green, play equipment, two football facilities as well as open spaces.
The former Park Keeper’s cottage is about to be leased to a Community Interest Company (CIC) and it is to be converted into a nursery school which will provide much needed additional nursery facilities in a beautiful outdoor environment.
Anyone interested in the football or bowling facilities or anything else relating to the park should contact the Parish Council on Tel: 0191 5272582 or email us on email@example.com